Wednesday 25 February 2015

WHITWORTH ART GALLERY: On a Rainy Afternoon in Manchester












For the first time since its reopening, I had a good look around Whitworth Art Gallery. I have to say, it really is an impressive space, and that's coming from a very naughty art student who generally doesn't enjoy going to galleries. This newly refurbished building feels fresh, cool, modern and welcoming, and I particularly enjoy the way they display their impressive collections of drawings and watercolour paintings. If you love Turner, then this is a great gallery for you.
Cornelia Parker's solo show is the first to be exhibited in the new space. A smart move I think: the perfect work to really show off a space. It's big, open, airy and steeped in natural light thanks to the windows overlooking the park everywhere you look. The cafe is also completely made of glass, and juts out from the gallery like a swanky pier. I didn't understand the queue until I caught a glimpse of it thought yet another floor-to-ceiling window. It really is impressive and a rather delectable place to enjoy a coffee I have no doubt.
Let's not forget the gift shop: oh holy mother of gift shops, it is a goody.

No comments:

Post a Comment